Chelsea’s staff has reportedly broken the government’s lockdown guidelines to sign two players for their academy. This happened on the first day of the duration in which academies were allowed to sign under-9 players for next season.
According to football.london, they saw Chelsea’s local chief of recruitment and other staff with him visiting the houses of two boys to tap them up for the team. While other clubs and academies around England adhered to the lockdown rules and guidelines and approached players through video calling, Chelsea resorted to presenting physical contracts. Pictures below from a player’s parents also revealed that the lockdown rules have been broken.
Congrats to Josh Masara for officially signing for Chelsea Academy.We need more of these breakthroughs as a nation endowed with great talents.All the best youngman.A journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step. pic.twitter.com/Oap1K51ujV
— Martin Changachirere (@metsbarmby) May 17, 2020
He is now an official Chelsea player contract signed ⚽️🏆🎊🎉🎉 pic.twitter.com/LQ7L6mIOox
— Olinda Masara (@omasara2000) May 16, 2020
16th May was the first day on which under-9 players were allowed for registration and there is a rush among top academies to sign for the most promising players. A scout said to football.london that Chelsea breaking the lockdown regulations was ‘disrespectful. He also said:
“Chelsea may have thought that other clubs were looking at the same players as them”.
It’s funny as last year the Court of Arbitration for Sport ruled that Chelsea will face a transfer ban of two transfer windows concerning the transfer of signing youngsters. However, in December it was ruled that the band has been halved and they will be able to sign players in January. Now, even under quarantine, they violated rules for signing youngsters.
Earlier in March, the Blues reminded their players and staff to follow the rules after Callum Hudson-Odoi was found positive and Mason Mount was spotted playing with Declan Rice.